Make this when red peppers are in season they are full of flavour and cheaper.
- 1.5 kg red peppers
- 4 large ripe red tomatoes
- 2 onions
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tblsp chopped fresh root ginger
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup white vinegar (cider, white wine or distilled)
- 1 tblsp mustard seeds
- 2 tblsp whole allspice
- 2 tblsp whole peppercorns
- Grill the red peppers under a high heat, until blackened all over. Transfer to a plastic bag until cool enough to handle. Peel away the charred skin, seed and chop finely.
- Blanch, peel and chop the tomatoes.
- Peel and dice the onions, and garlic.
- In a large saucepan put the peppers, onions, tomato, garlic, ginger and vinegar. Tie the mustard seeds, peppercorns and allspice in a small muslin bag and add to the saucepan. simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the sugar and cook for a further 15 minutes, until thick. Remove the spice bag.
- Transfer into hot sterilized jars and seal immediately.