Pink Icing Buns
After the week we’ve had (all that US politics!!) I feel like we need something absolutely frivolous and fun and these cream and jam-filled finger buns do the trick!
1 heaped tablespoon caster sugar
1 medium egg, lightly beaten
2 tsps instant yeast
250g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
250g high grade flour
175mls tepid water
½ tbsp sunflower oil
1 ½ cup icing sugar
1 tsp raspberry juice
2 tbsps water
Coconut for sprinkling
300mls cream, whipped
¼ cup raspberry jam
- Warm half the milk and butter together until butter is melted. Whisk in egg and sugar and remaining milk. Sprinkle over yeast and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Sift the flours into a bowl. Make a well in the centre and pour in the milk/yeast mixture and 100mls of the water. Stir with a wooden spoon until you have a scraggy dough, adding more water as you go, to get a soft, sticky dough. You may or may not need all of the water.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 mins. Cover loosely with a plastic bag nd leave in a warm place for 1 hr or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Knock the dough back and divide into 14-16 pieces. Roll each into a finger about 12-14cm long. Transfer to 2 baking paper lined trays, spaced well apart. Cover again and leave in a warm place for 30 mins or until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to fan 180°C. Bake for 8-10 mins until lightly golden. Leave on the trays to cool completely.
- Sift the icing sugar into a large bowl and stir in 2 tbsp water and raspberry juice for colour. Mix to a smooth icing that’s thick but a little runny too.
- Spoon the icing over the fingers, sprinkle with coconut and leave to set.
- Split each bun and pipe in jam then whipped cream. Eat and enjoy!!