800g kumara, orange and/or purple, grated
1 medium potato, grated
1 small onion, grated
½ cup chopped parsley
2 tbsps fresh thyme leaves
¼ cup olive oil + extra for drizzling
2 tsps sea salt + decent grind of black pepper
200g hot or cold smoked salmon
200g sour cream
2-3 gherkins, diced
Squeeze of lemon
- Heat oven to 180 C. Line a roasting dish (approx. 20x30cm) with baking paper.
- Squeeze excess liquid from grated kumara and potato – I use a tea towel and do it in batches.
- In a large bowl combine grated vegetables with herbs, olive oil and seasoning. Transfer to prepared roasting dish and pat into an even layer. Drizzle with olive oil and cook for one hour or until crispy on top and bottom.
- While this cooks prepare a platter of toppings: flake some smoked salmon and set aside. Mix together sour cream and gherkins with lemon juice
- Serve squares of hash topped with sour cream and salmon with a sprinkling of parsley.
Take your Radio, Podcasts and Music with you