Indian spiced feijoa chutney
This chutney is just so darn good! It’s divine with cheese and crackers or with a curry or dollop a bit in a casserole.
Makes 2-3 cups
2kg ripe feijoas
¼ cup cooking oil
1 tbsp each turmeric, ground cumin, ground coriander, ginger, chilli powder
2 tbsps mustard seeds
400g brown sugar
500mls white vinegar
1 tbsp salt
- Scoop half the feijoa and chop the rest, skins and all.
- In a medium-large saucepan, fry all the spices in cooking oil. Add remaining ingredients, bring to the boil then simmer for one hour or until thickened and reduced.
- Spoon/pour into sterilised jars, wipe any spills from jars and secure lids. Store in a cool, dark place and try to leave them for 2 weeks for the flavours to develop.
Other great ideas for feijoas:
- Make an Eton mess with meringue, feijoa, cream and grated chocolate
- Feijoa & ginger jam
- Dot some chopped feijoa onto your favourite chocolate cake batter before baking