Wine: Dashwood 2018 Riesling, Marlborough $15
Where I discovered it:
- Haven’t featured a Riesling on the show for over a year
- Not popular, my local supermarket features it in the “aromatic” section
- Pinot Gris is also an aromatic wine but it has its own section
- I reviewed it blind with other Rieslings when it was released a few months ago
What does it taste like?
- “Bright, fresh and tangy Riesling with impressive sweet/sour tension. Vibrant wine with lime, floral and sea air/mineral flavours. Great summer drinking especially at this price.”
- It’s not dry but it’s not sweet – perhaps “medium/dry”?
Why it’s a bargain:
- Riesling is not top of the hit parade which limits the price, but if you like Riesling it is probably the best value wine made in this country.
- It’s the sort of wine that can deliver quality even though its got a price tag of under $15.
Where you can buy it?
- I bought it at New World where it currently costs $14.99. I also found it at The Good Wine Co in Auckland where you can buy it online for $15.99 although they have a minimum purchase of $50 and a shipping fee of $3.99
- I like to serve it well chilled with a Thai curry although it is delicious on its own without the complication of food.
Will it keep?
- Riesling has a reputation for ageing very well. With bottle age it develops more flavour and can get quite toasty, sometimes with a hint of kerosene characters, which doesn’t appeal to everybody.
- I’d enjoy this wine over the next year or two whole it’s at its fruitiest best.