ZB ZB
Sport
Live now
Start time
Playing for
End time
Listen live
Listen to NAME OF STATION
Up next
Listen live on
ZB

Warriors sign key playmaker on long-term deal

Author
Alex Powell,
Publish Date
Fri, 22 May 2026, 12:14pm
Tanah Boyd has committed to a contract with the Warriors until the end of the 2029 season. Photo / Photosport
Tanah Boyd has committed to a contract with the Warriors until the end of the 2029 season. Photo / Photosport

Warriors sign key playmaker on long-term deal

Author
Alex Powell,
Publish Date
Fri, 22 May 2026, 12:14pm

The Warriors’ worst-kept secret has been confirmed: Tanah Boyd has signed to remain at the Auckland club until the end of the 2029 NRL season. 

He has signed the new contract as coach Andrew Webster backed the 25-year-old to be his No 1 halfback, even at the expense of Luke Metcalf. 

However, fans will have to wait until next year to see Boyd in action again, after he was ruled out for the rest of the season by an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injury picked up in last weekend’s victory over the Brisbane Broncos. 

Reports of Boyd’s contract extension had been circulating for several weeks before the Warriors finally made the announcement today. 

“We’re all feeling for Tanah, but we’re so happy knowing we’ll have him here for another three years,” Webster said. 

“He has put a lot of hard work into his game and to his club. He has done a terrific job for us and has done his family and himself proud. 

“He’s upset right now, but the way he has handled himself this week has been unbelievable. 

Tanah Boyd pulled up suddenly during the NRL Round 11 match between the Warriors and the Brisbane Broncos at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane last Sunday. It has since been confirmed that he has injured his ACL. Photo / AAP / Dave Hunt / PhotosportTanah Boyd pulled up suddenly during the NRL Round 11 match between the Warriors and the Brisbane Broncos at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane last Sunday. It has since been confirmed that he has injured his ACL. Photo / AAP / Dave Hunt / Photosport 

“I haven’t seen a player go through an ACL and reconnect with a team so quickly. Tanah has been at training sessions, he has been in our meetings, given his opinion and told Te Maire [Martin] if he needs any reps, he’ll help, not physical because he can’t, but mental reps. 

“You can see how much his all-round game has developed this year and how much more confident he is in his role. We’re rapt to have him here long-term.” 

Boyd moved to the Warriors from the Gold Coast Titans at the start of the 2025 season and made his club debut in round 19. 

Last May, he was linked with a move to the North Queensland Cowboys to shift to hooker and replace the outgoing Reece Robson. However, Webster defiantly told media that the Warriors had no intention of letting him go. 

And despite having to be patient in waiting for his chance, an ACL injury to Metcalf midway through last season opened the door for him to become the Warriors’ main halfback. 

Boyd’s good start to this season saw Metcalf request a release from the rest of his contract with the Warriors, after seeing his pathway to the No 7 jersey blocked. 

Metcalf has since signed to join the St George Illawarra Dragons from next year on a three-year contract, while the Warriors have also moved to re-sign Chanel Harris-Tavita. 

Alex Powell is a sports journalist for the NZ Herald. He has been a sports journalist since 2016. 

Take your Radio, Podcasts and Music with you