ZB ZB
Sport
Live now
Start time
Playing for
End time
Listen live
Listen to NAME OF STATION
Up next
Listen live on
ZB

'Unhelpful external commentary about his future': RNZ boss Paul Thompson resigns

Author
Shayne Currie,
Publish Date
Fri, 22 May 2026, 10:29am
RNZ chief executive Paul Thompson.
RNZ chief executive Paul Thompson.

'Unhelpful external commentary about his future': RNZ boss Paul Thompson resigns

Author
Shayne Currie,
Publish Date
Fri, 22 May 2026, 10:29am

Media Insider banner

RNZ CEO’s resignation comes amid political heat and ratings scrutiny, but chair says it was his decision alone. 

RNZ chief executive Paul Thompson has resigned. He will leave the public broadcaster at the end of the year. 

“Our highly respected chief executive and editor-in-chief Paul Thompson has tendered his resignation and will leave RNZ on December 31,” RNZ staff were told in an email from chair Jim Mather this morning. 

Thompson has been chief executive for 13 years. 

“In December last year, Paul informed us that he had decided he would leave the role at the end of 2026. We had planned to make the news public in the second half of this year,” Mather told staff in the email leaked to Media Insider, and later confirmed by press release. 

“Paul’s decision was his alone and did not come as a surprise to the board. 

“It is always part of our succession planning that we have open discussions with the chief executive about the role and future plans. 

“I am sharing this news with you today as there has been recent unhelpful external commentary about his future. 

“Paul and the board agree, given the current circumstances, that it is appropriate to make his announcement earlier to avoid further conjecture and distraction.” 

Thompson’s resignation announcement comes on the eve of the departure of Mather as chair, and two other board members, Irene Gardiner and Jane Wrightson. 

Without naming Thompson, Deputy Prime Minister and Act leader David Seymour recently told The Platform, “that guy’s got an awful lot to answer for and I suspect that he won’t be answering the call at RNZ for much longer”. 

Seymour was specifically referring to Thompson overseeing the hiring of John Campbell as Morning Report co-host, in light of Campbell’s previous columns in which Campbell was highly critical of the coalition government. 

Mather hit back strongly at the time at Seymour’s comments and any suggestion of Government influence on RNZ’s operations, reiterating that “editorial independence is fundamental and non‑negotiable”. 

Opposition politicians and journalism academics also criticised Seymour over his comments. 

Seymour, in turn, has said that editorial independence did not mean “freedom from accountability”. He told Media Insider that while he respected many of the journalists at RNZ, “I just think, overall, RNZ is a tragedy”. 

The announcement of Thompson’s departure also comes days before the latest RNZ radio listenership results are released. 

Yesterday, breakfast host Mike Hosking and Newstalk ZB threw down the gauntlet to RNZ, with a sizeable jump in audience numbers, according to the latest commercial radio ratings. 

ZB recorded its highest cumulative audience in almost three years: an increase of 53,800 listeners since the last survey at the end of 2025, to a total audience today of 657,400. 

At breakfast, Hosking’s audience has similarly jumped to its highest number since mid-2023: from 424,300 at the end of 2025 to 458,500 today. 

RNZ’s radio numbers are set to be released next week. 

‘Paul’s decision alone’ 

RNZ chief executive Paul Thompson. Photo / RNZRNZ chief executive Paul Thompson. Photo / RNZ 

“This was Paul’s decision alone,” Mather said in a press release of Thompson’s resignation. 

“Over his 13 years in the role, he has been an outstanding chief executive who has led a challenging transformation of RNZ into a multimedia public media organisation that now reaches more people than ever before. 

“His commitment to high-quality public media and to an independent and relevant RNZ will leave the organisation in good stead. The board is grateful for his excellent service and appreciative that he let us know late last year of his plans.” 

In a statement, Thompson said it was the right time for him to step away from the role. 

“I’m incredibly proud of what RNZ has achieved and the value it now brings to the public it serves. The end of the year is the right time for a change for both me and RNZ. I’ve loved working alongside people who are passionate about the purpose of public media, and I know the organisation is in a strong position to continue this important work.” 

RNZ said its board would “commence planning for the recruitment of a new chief executive once the new chair and board members are confirmed”. 

Board member Brent Impey is expected to be announced as the new chair to replace Mather in coming weeks.  

Editor-at-Large Shayne Currie is one of New Zealand’s most experienced senior journalists and media leaders. He has held executive and senior editorial roles at NZME including Managing Editor, NZ Herald Editor and Herald on Sunday Editor and has a small shareholding in NZME. 

Take your Radio, Podcasts and Music with you