BOB’S BEST BUYS
Wine: Mount Michael 2018 The Mountaineer Pinot Noir, Central Otago $29.99
Why I chose it:
- Pinot Noir is my dessert island wine.
- It makes a great summer red, I often chill it slightly on a hot day (also a great winter red)
What does it taste like?
- Appealing floral aroma with hints of cherry, savoury dried herbs and spicy oak on the palate. Charming and moderately complex wine with a seductively silken texture. Stylish, accessible Pinot Noir with a distinctive character. Offers good value at this price.
Why it’s a bargain:
- I like to keep the price under $20 if I can but that’s not easy when I’m looking for a truly high quality Pinot Noir. I think this wine is in a class of its own so I’ve pushed the boat out a little this week. Think of it as a special occasion wine.
Where you can buy it?
- It’s a relatively small production wine and the only place I could find it on sale is Mount Michael’s cellar door which about five minutes out of Queenstown. You can buy it online from www.mountmichaelwines.com or, better still, visit the cellar door and enjoy a self-guided wine tasting. For guided tastings you need to book ahead.
- Pinot Noir gets my vote for being the world’s most food-friendly red wine. This Pinot Noir will happily sit alongside everything from smoked salmon to lamb shanks.
Will it keep?
- It’s pretty approachable right now but is likely to become more mellow and silkier over time. With careful storage I think it would be an even more interesting wine by 2025.