BOB’S BEST BUYS
Wine: Rocky Point 2019 Pinot Noir, Central Otago $33
Why I chose it:
- I try to feature wines below $20 but, although this is more expensive it still represents good value
- Its Pinot Noir day on 18th August, this is a good candidate
- It’s a “winter weather” Pinot Noir with plenty of weight and richness, as opposed to a lighter, softer “summer Pinot” style.
- Made by Prophet’s Rock, one of my favourite Central Otago Pinot Noir producers. This is their entry level Pinot.
What does it taste like?
- Quite rich and concentrated PN with plum, dark berry, wood smoke, spice and a Central Otago signature of wild thyme.
Why it’s a bargain:
- Central Otago Pinot Noir averages around $45 and I think this is a better-than-average Central Otago Pinot Noir
Where you can buy it?
- The winery is selling it for $33 but you can buy it at Vino Fino in Chch for $25.99, Winesale.co.nz in Wellington for $27.99 and Fine Wine Delivery Co in Auckland for $28.99. Thanks to COVID-19 most wine stores offer an online delivery service.
- Food match? It’s a fairly robust Pinot Noir and can handle rich stews and casseroles. Also goes well with pasta dished served with a rich meat sauce.
Will it keep?
I would expect it to become smoother and more complex within, say, five or six years although it’s pretty approachable now.