Wine: Old Coach Road 2020 Sauvignon Blanc, Nelson $14
Why I chose it:
- 2020 is a great vintage
- Made by Seifried Estate who produce top SB
- Gold medal winner in NZIWA (I was Chief Judge)
- On sale at the winery for $14
- Perfect for balmy Spring weather
What does it taste like?
- Delicate and ethereal with passion fruit, green capsicum and lemon grass supported by mouth-watering acidity. Very refreshing.
Why it’s a bargain:
- Gold medal wines with a price tag below $15 are as rare as a Kakapo in Queen Street. It’s one of those wines that I will regret not buying a case. Offers great summer drinking.
Where you can buy it?
- Seifried Estate Winery in Nelson are selling it for $14 plus delivery. It’s only just being released so shop around and you might get it even cheaper than that. My local New World lists it at $13.99. If you can’t find the 2020 vintage, don’t worry, the 2019 is almost as good.
- Fresh seafood and crunchy summer salads served with a squeeze of lime or lemon.
Will it keep?
- It is unlikely to get better in the bottle but it will certainly continue to put a smile on your face for the next year or two.