2018 Church Road Chardonnay $19.99
Why I chose it:
- Classic “house wine” crowd-pleaser. 1000 people, most would like it. Marion likes big and buttery, I like sleek and crisp, both like Church Road.
- Entry level wine. If pay more, you get more. McDonald ($26), Grand Reserve ($40), Tom ($150). Church Road is a great Chardonnay maker.
- 2018 was a pretty good vintage in HB (2019 and 2020 promise to be even better)
What does it taste like?
- Quite rich, smooth-textured, peach and citrus with a smidgen of spicy oak. Deliciously easy-to-drink Chardonnay.
Why it’s a bargain:
- It simply delivers a lot for a very modest price. Church Road is part of the French-owned Pernod-Ricard group and is one of this country’s largest wine producers which gives them economies of scale allowing them to make “price-friendly” wines.
Where you can buy it?
- New World $14.99 (on special)
- Whisky and More (Waikato) $15.50,
- The Good Wine Co $16.99
- Very versatile: white meat – chicken, pork and seafood are all good matches. Good with many vegetarian dishes and lightly spiced curries.
Will it keep?
- It will offer tasty drinking for another three to four years but probably won’t get much better than it is right now.