Nici Wickes joins Jack Tame to talk about a delicious recipe for a picnic tar, which she describes as a favourite and best served at room temperature, making it perfect for taking on a picnic.
A PICNIC TART
This tart is a favourite of mine and it’s good served at room temperature so perfect for taking on a picnic.
2 sheets short crust pastry
3 eggs, beaten with a fork
200g cream cheese or crème fraiche, room temperature
1 cup roughly chopped herbs – any or all of parsley, coriander, basil
½ tsp sea salt + ground black pepper
1-2 zucchini, or use asparagus or broccoli, sliced thinly
75 g parmesan, grated
Chutney to serve
- Preheat oven to 180 C and place an oven tray in to heat. Grease a 26x34cm shallow roasting dish or tart tin.
- Press pastry into tin, moistening the joins and pressing firmly to seal. Trim edges.
- Whisk together eggs, cream cheese and seasoning. Add herbs. Pour into pastry case.
- Lay vegetable slices on top and sprinkle over parmesan.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes or until set and pastry crust is crisp. Cool in tin. Wrap in a tea towel and take to the picnic!