Hot cross buns are one thing but how about these doughnuts, filled with sweetened cream cheese and jam and showered in sugar and spice? Yummo!
2/3 cup milk, warmed
2 tsps instant yeast
2 heaped tbsps caster sugar
2 ½ cups high grade flour, plus more for dusting
¼ tsp salt
4 tbsps butter, melted + 2 tbsp extra, also melted
2 egg yolks 2 tsps vanilla extract
1/3 cup sugar
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp each nutmeg & mix spice
1/3 cup cream cheese
2 tbsps icing sugar
1/3 raspberry jam
1. In a small bowl, sprinkle yeast and 1 tbsp of the sugar over warmed milk. Leave to sit, covered, until it froths – about 10 minutes.
2. In a large bowl measure out 2 cups of the flour, remaining sugar and salt. Make a well and pour in milk/yeast mixture as well as the melted butter, egg yolks and vanilla extract. Whisk vigorously to combine well liquid ingredients then start bringing in the flour. Mix until combined then knead in the bowl (add more of the flour if you need to) until smooth – about 5 minutes.
3. Cover bowl and let rise in a 100˚F oven for 45 min or at room temperature for until doubled in size.
4. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
5. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and gently press or roll the dough out to just under 3cm thick. Cut circles using a cookie cutter, re-rolling scraps if needed to use all the dough. Place donuts on prepared baking tray and cover with a tea towel and let rise in a warm place until puffed.
6. Bake centre of a preheated oven at 180 C for 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden on top.
7. Right out of the oven, brush each doughnut all over with extra melted butter and roll in a bowl of sugar/spice mix to coat lightly with sugar. Cool.
8. Cut a deep slit in the side of each doughnut and pipe in cream then jam with a pastry bag.