Follow the podcast on
Here are some refreshing non-alcoholic drinks to get you through the silly season. The only thing you’ll feel the next morning is smug.
Shrubs are fruity vinegar drinks and they’re amazing! Standard recipe is equal parts fruit, sugar and viengar but you can adjust these to your taste.
Makes 200mls syrup
450g fresh raspberries
1 cup caster sugar
½ cup red wine vinegar
Soda water to serve
Ice to serve
- In a bowl, toss fruit with sugar, cover with a breathable cloth and leave to sit for 48 hours, stirring every now and again. In very warm weather, do this stage in the fridge.
- Drain the syrup (saving the fruit for ice cream, smoothiesetc)adn stir in red wine vinegar. Pour into sterilised bottle or jar and seal for 3 days before tasting.
- To make the shrubs, pour syrup into glasses and top with soda water and ice. I use a ration of 1:4 syrup to soda water but make them to your taste.
Makes 1 L
½ cup brown
¼ cup water
Big handful of mint leaves + extra
2 teaspoons raw sugar
1 L Soda water
¼ cup lime juice
Plenty of ice
- Make a sugar syrup by simmering brown sugar with water for 6-8 minutes. Leave to cool.
- Smash the mint with the raw sugar in a mortar and pestle.
- In a jug (or divide between individual glasses) swizzle together sugar syrup, smashed mint/sugar, soda, lime and ice. Serve with more fresh lime and wedges of lime.