NECTARINE & BLUEBERRY PIE
The combination of stonefruit and berries in a sweet pie is my idea of heaven. Before we know it berries and summerfruit will be done for the season so enjoy it while you can.
2-3 sheets sweet short pastry
1 punnet blueberries
4 nectarines, de-stoned and roughly chopped
2 tbsp plain flour
2 tbsps caster sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice
50g butter, melted
1 egg, lightly beaten, for glaze
Cream or yoghurt to serve
- Preheat oven to 180 C and place a tray in to heat.
- Line a 24 cm pie dish with pastry. To join pastry sheets together, brush edges with water and press firmly together. Prick it all over and chill.
- In a bowl mix blueberries and nectarines with flour, sugar and lemon juice. Toss well then pour in melted butter and combine.
- Fill pastry with fruit filling to three-quarters full, piling it a little higher in the centre.
- On baking paper, roll out a rough circle for pie top and drape over filling, pressing the edges to seal and trim. Brush top with beaten egg and make some cuts across the pastry to allow steam to escape.
- Bake on preheated tray for 40-45 minutes or until pastry crust is golden. If it gets too dark on the edges you can always cover these with foil. You want to cook it so that the bottom is cooked properly.
- Cool to warm then serve with clouds of whipped cream and/or ice cream.