Follow the podcast on
Whilst we’re all focused on the cost of living and food prices making it harder and harder to afford any treats or luxury items, here’s a thing…home-made biscuits. They’re an absolute treat, better for you than bought biscuits, quick and easy to make and so affordable.
Bran or Oat biscuits
Makes 30 biscuits
- 110g butter, softened
- 1 cup regular sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup plain flour + extra for rolling
- 1 cup bran flakes or oats – process these in a food processor or blender
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Set oven at 160 C fan bake and line 1 or 2 trays with baking paper.
- Cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Stir in flour and bran/oats until it forms a ball. Halve and roll out each dough ball on a well-floured surface. Use a round cookie cutter or thin-lipped glass or cup to cut into circles. Any size you like.
- Transfer to the lined tray. Prick each with a fork. Repeat with the remaining mixture.
- Bake for 5 minutes then bang and turn the tray and bake for a further 3 -5 minutes when they should be lovely and golden.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- These biscuits freeze exceptionally well. They can also be buttered or sandwiched together with icing for an extra treat.
TOTAL COST: $2.76 for 30 biscuits (9cents per biscuit)
Ginger nuts $2.90 / 10
Bran biscuits $5.50 / 12
Krispies $2.90 / 24