Cheesy Asparagus Tart
There’s a push this week from the lovely folk at 5+a day and with all the wonderful new season vegetables coming in, it’s easy to do! Asparagus is a fantastic vegetable for good health - it helps to cleanse the liver and even stave off kidney and gall bladder stones I’m told. This tart is a great way to enjoy it.
Makes 23 cm tart
1 sheet puff pastry
Decent pinch of black pepper
100g parmesan cheese, finely grated
1 bunch asparagus
- Heat oven to 200 C and place a tray in to heat.
- Line a shallow 23cm tart tin with pastry, pressing into edges. Chill.
- Snap tough ends off asparagus and discard. Pour boiling water over asparagus spears and leave for 5 minutes to ‘cook’. Drain well and chop into lengths.
- Heat cream with pepper until nearly boiling. Add ¾ of the cheese and stir until melted. Cool.
- Spoon cooled cheese sauce into chilled pastry shell. Top with chopped asparagus and remaining cheese. Place on heated tray and bake until golden - about 40 minutes.
- Rest for 15 minutes and eat warm or cold.
LISTEN TO AUDIO ABOVE