Follow the podcast on
Mumm Marlborough NV Brut Prestige $35
Why I chose it:
- Thought I’d go out with a bang on my last pick for 2021
- A collaboration between Mumm Champagne and Pernod Ricard NZ. A blend of 46% Pinot Noir, 45% Chardonnay and 9% Pinot Meunier.
- Think of it as a Kiwi wine with a slight French accent
- Open carefully by covering the cork with a napkin as you loosen the wire. Best to hold the bottle at 45 degrees.
What does it taste like?
- Delicately aromatic sparkler with lemon curd, citrus blossom, and baguette crust flavours. Seamless wine with a seductively ethereal texture and delicious mouth-tingling acidity.
Why it’s a bargain:
- Champagne prices start at around $50 while good NZ Methode (bottle-fermented sparkling wine made using the champagne process) starts at around $30. It is champagne quality at a local Methode price.
Where you can buy it?
- Glengarry, Super Liquor, New World and Liquorland all have it at $29.99. That’s a very good price but shop around and don’t forget to ask for a bulk discount if you plan to buy six or more bottles.
- Freshly shucked oysters garnished with a squeeze of lime is my favourite, but it is a versatile food match.
Will it keep?
- Not in my house. It is probably as good as it is going to be but no rush