The ban on people travelling from China to Australia has been extended as the number of those infected with the coronavirus continues to rise.
The travel ban was due to end on Saturday, with Prime Minister Scott Morrison making the announcement of the extension after a national security meeting.
Mr Morrison said the decision has been made to extend the travel ban for another week.
“This decision was made following expert medical advise. We did not take this decision lightly,” he told reporters.
“We are very mindful of the disruption and economic impacts of these arrangements, but I note Australia is one of 58 countries that has introduced some form of travel restrictions.”
The ban was initially set for 14 days, with Mr Morrison saying it would now be reviewed on a weekly basis.
Mr Morrison said he wanted to assure Australians the Government was doing everything in its power to keep them safe and mitigate any possible threats from the virus.
He also thanked the Chinese Australian community for complying with self-isolation recommendations that had been put in place.
“I would like to thank the Chinese Australian community for the way they have been respecting the quarantine arrangements and self isolation,” he said.
The Prime Minister also urged people to support Chinese Australian businesses, asking all citizens to support them in “any way they can”.
The number of confirmed cases of the coronavirus has reached more than 60,300 and the death toll stands at 1369.