'Low act': NRL star's explosive Instagram post after sacking

Author
news.com.au,
Publish Date
Tue, 24 Aug 2021, 1:46PM
(Curtis Scott. Photo / Getty)
(Curtis Scott. Photo / Getty)

'Low act': NRL star's explosive Instagram post after sacking

Author
news.com.au,
Publish Date
Tue, 24 Aug 2021, 1:46PM

Sacked Raiders star Curtis Scott has accused Canberra of leaking information about a secret fight he had with a former teammate following his instant termination on Monday.

The club confirmed on Monday in a statement the 23-year-old's contract was torn up following his meeting with the club's board of directors.

It comes after the NRL issued him a breach notice in July in relation to an alleged incident inside a Canberra nightclub in May.

Scott's sacking took a dramatic twist on Monday night when reports emerged his axing was the result of several off-field incidents.

The Daily Telegraph's Phil Rothfield told Fox League's NRL 360 on Monday Scott was involved in a fight with former teammate Luke Bateman during an incident at a team function last year.

The report indicates Scott injured his hand during the incident and was unavailable to be selected for a number of weeks.

Police were never involved and the club chose to keep the fight a secret.

The club was made aware of the incident the following day, but the story was hidden from the public until Monday.

Scott on Monday night claimed the Raiders leaked the information to further explain their decision to sack the former Melbourne Storm star.

He posted a message on Instagram accusing the Raiders of a "low act".

His post included a screenshot of the headline for an article written by Rothfield in The Daily Telegraph.

Curtis Scott's Instagram story. Photo / Instagram/@curtisscott4

Curtis Scott's Instagram story. Photo / Instagram/@curtisscott4

Scott wrote: "I would just like to come forward and comment on the latest headline.

"I opened up about extremely personal information regarding mental health and current struggles, I have just lost what feels like everything to me and I can't understand why Canberra have continued to kick me while I'm down and now leak in-house information that was dealt with over a year ago regarding a former player.

"The club has nothing to gain out of this but hopes of reasoning for their lack of supporting.

"In my opinion it's a low act and they have shown and proved that they have no real care factor for players' welfare.

"It's not the first time this has happened to a player at the Raiders that has come out about mental health struggles."

It comes as The Australian reported Monday Scott is exploring his legal options and may take action against his former employer.

Earlier, Rothfield released details of the incident with Bateman, who exited the Raiders in the middle of the 2020 season.

"This was there on the rap sheet that we didn't know about," Rothfield said.

"It wasn't the reason John Bateman went home (to England last year)... but it was a very serious incident.

"Curtis Scott contacted them the next day and told them what happened, but he was injured, he had misbehaved.

"There were no police charges so it didn't go to (the integrity unit). It obviously contributed heavily to his sacking."

The Raiders' official statement on Monday said the decision was made because Scott's "recent behaviour and assault charge" brought the club into "disrepute".

Scott had been charged with assault over an alleged nightclub brawl earlier this year. He has previously said he will vigorously defend the charges.

The case is listed for mention on August 30 for a hearing date.

He was banned for three matches by the NRL at the time and was fined $15,000 for bringing the league into disrepute.

Reports this weekend revealed Scott had attended Alcoholics Anonymous meetings and undergone psychiatric treatment as part of an attempt to save his career.

In early 2020, Scott was also alleged to have assaulted two police officers when they found him passed out in Moore Park, Sydney.

However, the assault charges were dropped after reviewing the bodycam footage from the police officers involved.

Scott did plead guilty to two charges of offensive behaviour.

His future in the NRL remains uncertain and he does not have a contract for the 2022 season.