Wellington holds onto Sevens hosting rights for next three years

Author
Wellington Sevens 2016 (Photosport).,
Section
National,
Publish Date
Thursday, 26 May 2016, 6:36AM
Newstalk ZB staff
Newstalk ZB staff

The Wellington City Council is determined to make the next three Rugby Sevens' tournaments a success as it holds onto hosting rights.

Following an extensive review of this year's tournament, New Zealand Rugby has confirmed the capital will host the tournament for the next three years.

Councillor Jo Coughlan said the main focus now is doing the best job of hosting.

"At it's peak, the Sevens has brought nearly $20 million into our economy so we'll be doing the best that we can to make sure it's a very successful tournament and the whole city will thrive from it."

CEO Steve Tew said they worked hard last year to make the tournament more family friendly, but there's still a lot of work to do.

"The key thing is we've got to get some more people through the gate, and that's now the challenge for us. That's what we're working hard with Wellington City and Wellington Rugby and the stadium to do."

Mr Tew said teams always look forward to playing in the capital.

"We obviously have got a long-standing working relationship. Wellington's been a great host and together were working to reposition it and in the end we concluded to give Wellington the final three years of our licence."

Heather du Plessis-Allan Drive

Heather du Plessis-Allan Drive

4PM - 7PM