ZB ZB
Opinion
Live now
Start time
Playing for
End time
Listen live
Listen to NAME OF STATION
Up next
Listen live on
ZB

New slip risk halts Waioweka Gorge convoys for at least 25 hours

Author
Rotorua Daily Post,
Publish Date
Tue, 17 Feb 2026, 1:28pm

New slip risk halts Waioweka Gorge convoys for at least 25 hours

Author
Rotorua Daily Post,
Publish Date
Tue, 17 Feb 2026, 1:28pm

A further slip in the Waioweka Gorge this morning has cancelled guided convoys for at least the next 25 hours.

State Highway 2 through the gorge was closed for several weeks following severe weather and multiple slips in January before opening to guided public convoys earlier this month.

Today’s slip initially only delayed this morning’s planned convoys, however, NZ Transport Agency said in an update at 11.30am all convoys for the rest of today were cancelled due to the risk of ongoing slips.

This included the 11am convoy Gisborne-bound, which had been turned around, through to and including the 1pm Ōpōtiki-bound convoy tomorrow.

“A safety inspection will take place tomorrow [February 18] to assess the condition of the road before any further convoys take place,” the agency said.

“Decisions to cancel planned convoys are not taken lightly, as we know how critical this route is. However, the safety of our crews and everyone using this road is paramount.

“This new slip illustrates the ongoing fragility of the road and highlights that convoys could get still cancelled at very short notice.”

The agency said convoys were for essential travel only.

“Convoys will only proceed if it is safe to do so and crews will be monitoring continuously.

Take your Radio, Podcasts and Music with you