Two Hong Kong tourists died after a three-vehicle crash near south of Christchurch on Friday.
Emergency services responded to the crash on SH1/Main South Rd, near North Rakaia Rd, in Bankside at around 1.12pm.
Police said that despite the efforts of emergency personnel, two people had been pronounced dead at the scene.
Three others sustained injuries that ranged from moderate to critical.
The South China Morning Post has since reported that two Hong Kong tourists were killed in the crash.
It reported the Chinese consulate general in Christchurch had “expressed deep sorrow over the deaths” and would provide assistance to the injured and their families.
The crash caused significant traffic delays south of Christchurch while the road was closed, and a detour involving an extra 100km of travel was put in place.
Motorists were advised to avoid the area as congestion was building up on SH77, with traffic cameras capturing queues heading southwards on to the Rakaia River Bridge.
Main South Rd reopened at 6.55pm after being closed for about five hours as police investigated the cause of the crash.

Traffic backed up at Rakaia after a serious crash. Photo / NZ Transport Agency Waka Kotahi
“With police investigations at the site complete, and vehicles involved in the crash having been towed, the section of SH1/Main South Rd between North Rakaia Rd and Railway Terrace East is now open and clear,” NZ Transport Agency Waka Kotahi (NZTA) said at the time.
Earlier, Hato Hone St John said three people had been injured, with one in critical condition.
“Our ambulance staff treated three patients and transported two of them to Christchurch Public Hospital by helicopter, one in a critical condition and one in a serious condition,” St John said.
“The third patient was transported by road ambulance to Christchurch Public Hospital in a moderate condition.”
Take your Radio, Podcasts and Music with you