One of New Zealand’s greatest ever cricketers is “shocked and devastated” that Pegasus Golf Course has been sold to a property developer.
Sir Richard Hadlee has lived at Pegasus, north of Christchurch, since it opened.
“My wife and I, Diane, we were the first to build on the golf course in 2010. We were inaugural members of the golf club, numbers 1 and 2,” said Hadlee.
Inside the former home of Sir Richard Hadlee overlooking Pegasus Golf Course. Photo / Supplied
Hadlee is part of the Pegasus Residents Group, which is preparing to fight its case to save the course with new owners Wolfbrook Property.
“We were drawn to Pegasus to live a dream. Building on the golf course to play three times a week. It was a superb lifestyle,” said Hadlee.
“It’s come as a great shock to see our green spaces, which includes the golf course, being invaded by a potential housing development in and around the golf course.”
Wolfbrook Property confirmed last week that they were the new owners and that they intended to apply for the course to be rezoned – to allow for residential development.
“And if the golf club is to finally end in closure, it’ll be lost forever. There won’t be another one in this area. And the cost to build a new quality golf course is probably in the hundreds of millions of dollars,” said Hadlee.
Pegasus Golf Course in North Canterbury.
Hadlee, a former world record holder for the most test wickets, sold his luxury home overlooking the golf course in 2024 but still lives in Pegasus township.
“It’s just a nice place to live. I think there’s something like 80 houses on the golf course; there’s probably well over 1000 houses down in the township.”
Residents will gather at a public meeting on June 2 at Woodend Community Centre to better understand the situation and formulate their opposition. Hadlee says the residents and golf club members are united.
“We want the golf course to survive in some sort of capacity, with a new owner who will invest in it, to care for it, and to look after it.”
Sir Richard Hadlee during the first test against Australia on 21 February 1986 when he joined the elite "300 club". His career total of 431 test wickets was a world record. Photo / Paul Estcourt
Hadlee believes another development in the area is unnecessary – particularly at the expense of the golf course. He thinks Wolfbrook’s plans are opportunistic.
“I think they bought it for around about $6 million to $7 million. So they’re gonna make a lot of money out of it. That’s their only interest. I don’t think they’re interested in the community, the members and Pegasus in general,” said Hadlee.
Mike Thorpe is a senior multimedia journalist for the Herald, based in Christchurch. He has been a broadcast journalist across television and radio for 20 years and joined the Herald in August 2024.
Take your Radio, Podcasts and Music with you