A defiant Brian Tamaki says he is not a lawbreaker, and has never faced such a strict set of restrictions after police vowed to stop anyone from marching in protest across Auckland Harbour Bridge tomorrow.
A top-ranking cop says a “significant” police presence – with officers drafted from across the country – will be preventing protesters from walking over the city’s harbour bridge tomorrow.
Safety concerns led NZ Transport Agency Waka Kotahi (NZTA) to decline an application by The Freedom and Rights Coalition, an umbrella organisation created by Destiny Church in opposition to the Covid-19 restrictions, to walk the bridge on Saturday.
Despite this, the church’s leader, Brian Tamaki, said he is pressing ahead with protest plans, telling parishioners and supporters to assemble at a central Auckland park near motorway on and off ramps ahead of the march.
“I am not a law-breaker,” Tamaki told the Herald.
“We are gathering at Victoria Park for a peaceful, family-friendly protest…we are never violent."
He intended to let the police “sweat it out”, with the protest about “presence, not permission”.
“I’ve never seen a protest so controlled and restricted. I am putting Kiwis First, and from every angle, they are trying to block us.”
Waitematā District Commander Superintendent Naila Hassan said they would be preventing anyone from attempting to gain access to the bridge.
“We are making it very clear that any attempt to access the motorway tomorrow and the Auckland Harbour Bridge on foot will be prevented.
“It’s an unlawful act ... tomorrow there will be consequences.”
She told Ryan Bridge TODAY that they had been working with the group to find an alternate location, despite Tamaki’s repeated claims that he fully intends to march over the bridge tomorrow.
When asked why other groups were allowed to go over, Hassan said NZTA had given the advice that marches could damage the critical infrastructure.
“We will not be facilitating or supporting any future marches. So we have drawn a line in the sand, and it just happens to be with this group.”
Tamaki said there were no intentions of violence tomorrow and the gathering will be a “family-friendly” event.
He called the decision to block the march “selective policing”.
“Police have known about the clip-on issues since 2023, yet they allowed Toitū te Tiriti and Pro-Palestinian protests to proceed. Even the Auckland Marathon.”
He also said the Freedoms and Rights Coalition intend to refer the matter to the IPCA.
Destiny Church pastor Hannah Tamaki has slammed the police presence as “a waste of money” and time.
“If we don’t stand tomorrow, our country will never be the same. If you don’t want to cross the bridge, that’s fine. But show up at [Victoria Park] to show your support for the stand.”
Auckland’s deputy mayor Desley Simpson has also come out against the planned protest across the bridge, saying it will potentially disrupt the travel plans of tens of thousands of Aucklanders.
She’s calling on the Government to take a stand against Destiny Church’s bridge protest.
Simpson said she could not approve of an act that would result in traffic chaos.
Brian Tamaki has told his followers that the future of NZ depends on the Destiny Church. Photo / Corey Fleming
Last Sunday, a defiant Tamaki, speaking to his congregation at Manukau’s Due Drop Events Centre, said the Bridge to Better protest was the “biggest moment of 2026”.
“The future of New Zealand relies on Destiny,” he said.
“You’re not going on the 31st just to march and go over the bridge, you’re going as Destiny, you’re carrying the future hopes of this country.
“I understand this [march] is so hot that there are three counter-protests against us.”
NZTA said the group’s application to use the bridge was declined because “information provided in the Coalition’s Traffic Management Plan did not meet NZTA’s strict criteria”.
“There is a very high threshold for acceptance of requests to access the bridge for special events,” it said, adding “the bridge is not designed for use by pedestrians”.
The potential disruption to the whole Auckland transport network because of the timing and duration of the event was also considered, NZTA said.
Tamaki previously blasted NZTA’s decision in a social post, saying: “It’s obvious [the] Government and police are panicking that big numbers of Kiwis will be turning out to cross the Auckland Harbour Bridge on Sat 31st January.
“We will meet at Victoria Park at 11am ... The decision will be made then.”
Brian Tamaki told church members the future of New Zealand "relies on Destiny". Photo / Facebook
However, Tamaki’s Sunday message confirmed the group’s intention to walk the bridge.
“You can’t turn up like you are today,” he told parishioners.
“You’ve got to call friends and tell them of the big moment, even if you don’t agree with us, you’ve got to be there.
“Do you like bridge-walking? Come. Do you like big crowds? Do you want to be noisy? Be in the heat of the moment? Get there.”
The protest has been heavily advertised on Facebook by the church’s latest offshoot, anti-immigration group True Patriots of NZ, with posts saying “See you on the bridge”.
Members of the controversial group attended a Sikh parade in South Auckland last month holding banners that read: “This is NZ, not India”.
A group linked to Brian Tamaki disrupted a march by Sikhs in South Auckland. Photo / Facebook
There are two other protests planned for tomorrow.
One group, named Toitū Te Aroha, will march from Britomart, up Queen St in Myers Park in support of the Sikh community, which had been “targeted by acts of hate and intimidation”. The march is set to begin at 11am.
The other is an Iranian solidarity protest, which will meet at Western Park in Ponsonby from 6pm tomorrow.
Take your Radio, Podcasts and Music with you