After more than 100 days, the Pike River picket line is coming to an end.
Families and supporters have been manning the gate outside the mine since November.
The families had been hoping to convince the Government to allow a team to re-enter the mine or launch a new inquiry to check whether re-entry would be safe.
Anna Osborne, who lost husband Milton in the blast, said it's too difficult to stay during winter.
"What we had set out to do was to stop the permanent seal of the drift, and we’ve achieved that at this stage and we will take the Government’s word on that, that nothing will be done up there until further investigations have taken place," she said.
The mine has not been operating since a gas explosion in 2010 killed 29 workers, whose remains have never been removed because of concerns about high methane levels. Labour and New Zealand First have both committed to re-entering the mine if in power.
The final day of picketing will be next Tuesday.