Toddler amongst two new cases of Covid-19 in NZ

Author
Newstalk ZB,
Publish Date
Sun, 21 Jun 2020, 1:56PM

Toddler amongst two new cases of Covid-19 in NZ

Author
Newstalk ZB,
Publish Date
Sun, 21 Jun 2020, 1:56PM

"We will not be providing exact details of the child's age but can say they are under two years old."

The second case is a 59 year old woman who travelled from Delhi and who arrived in Auckland on 15 June on flight AI1316.

She was tested while at the Grand Millennium managed isolation facility and was travelling with her partner, who has also been tested, and whose result is pending.

Active follow up is now underway. An update will be provided on Monday on this case and the follow up of other cases from last week, the Ministry said.

This couple are also now in quarantine at the Jet Park.

Everyone who was at the Grand Millennium while these people were there has or will be tested as part of the testing at around days 3 and 12 that is now routine at all managed isolation facilities, today's statement confirms.

"This result was picked up in the woman's day three test and is an example of the new testing regime working as it should."

Meanwhile, Director-General of Health Ashley Bloomfield reiterated that the Government was always expecting to get new cases at our border as New Zealanders return home from overseas.

"It is good that the systems are in place to detect these cases. Testing, particularly at the border, will continue to be an important part of our Covid-19 response," he said in a statement this afternoon.

"Yesterday New Zealand's laboratories completed 5,950 tests, bringing the total completed to date to 341,117."

He said that is was a very high Saturday total, which he said again underscores the high capacity of the laboratories and the testing that continues in the community and across New Zealand's managed isolation facilities.

The two new cases brings the total number of confirmed cases up to 1,161 - the total confirmed and probable is 1511.

The number of recovered cases remains at 1,482 and there are no additional deaths to report.

The Ministry of Health confirmed that no one in New Zealand receiving hospital-level care for Covid-19.

There was no media conference today – instead, a statement was due at 1pm. However, it did not arrive until 2.05pm.

After 24 straight days of no new cases, this week saw the emergence of five new cases – two yesterday, one on Thursday and two on Tuesday.

The new cases all come from overseas and were detected while the infected were in quarantine.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has always said New Zealand would see new cases of Covid-19, given the pandemic is still ranging overseas.

She and director-general of health Dr Ashley Bloomfield, both expect more cases to emerge in the coming weeks and months, but say they can be managed in isolation.