Kiwi identity's a running theme through the nominees for Quote of the Year.
Voting has opened on the shortlist, which includes a blunt assessment of New Zealand as "racist as" by filmmaker Taika Waititi.
There's also this crack made by Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern during a US visit.
"I do find it slightly offensive that every New Zealander starred in other Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit."
And in true Kiwi form, a jab at the revolving door to Australia's top office, when former PM John Key said he doesn't "care who turns up, as long as they wear a name badge".
2018 New Zealand Quote of the Year Finalists
- "We're quite a fiddly-looking shaped country – a bit like a half-eaten lamb chop." Actor Rhys Darby on why NZ is left off world maps.
- "It's racist as f***. I think New Zealand is the best place on the planet, but it's a racist place." Filmmaker Taika Waititi.
- ''Wonky Donkey has had a good run for a donkey with three legs." – Author Craig Smith after sales of his children's book skyrocketed.
- "I do find it slightly offensive that everyone thinks that every NZer starred in either 'Lord of the Rings' or 'The Hobbit'." Jacinda Ardern to Stephen Colbert.
- "I used to say, 'Mate, I don't really mind who turns up, just wear a name badge so I know who it is'." John Key about Australia's Prime Minister.
- "Winston Peters spends a huge amount of time on me, on Paula Ben- Benefit- Bennett." Simon Bridges' slip of the tongue about Paula Bennett.
- "I don't know exactly what she said, but I know if you play it backwards it says 'Help me!'." Comedian Melanie Bracewell on Melania Trump.
- "It's so refreshing to see a straight white man not succeed in comedy right now." Comedian Rose Matafeo.
- "A little bit of a snafu." – Graeme Ball describing the NZQA history exam where Year 13 students were stumped by the word "trivial".
- "...his ideas don't align with actual rational thinking or any evidence or any intelligence." Actor Karen O'Leary on Wellington Paranormal.