Wayward bird caused scrub fire

Author
Georgia Nelson,
Publish Date
Wed, 18 Feb 2015, 3:46PM

Wayward bird caused scrub fire

Author
Georgia Nelson,
Publish Date
Wed, 18 Feb 2015, 3:46PM

It appears a large scrub fire in Taupo overnight was caused by a bird flying into power lines.

Fire crews were called to the blaze at a Landcorp forestry block at around seven o'clock.

Two helicopters with monsoon buckets and five fire trucks spent all night battling the fire.

Taupo District Council Rural Fire Officer Phil Parker says when they arrived at the scene it was obvious what had happened.

"We discovered that a bird had hit a power line and bought the line down and caused the fire," he said.