The alleged Christchurch gunman won't appear in person at his next court appearance.
The 28-year-old has his first hearing in the High Court on Friday via audio-visual link, after first appearing in the Christchurch District Court the day after the mosque attacks.
Justice Mander has told media the accused won't be required to enter a plea to the single murder charge he faces, or others the Crown is expected to file before Friday.
He says the hearing's primary purpose is to establish such administrative matters as the man's legal representation, if any.
The gunman last month fired his appointed counsel after his first hearing, saying that he intended to represent himself.
While 50 people were killed in the attack, the gunman has only been charged with one count of murder so far.