SPECIAL GUEST: Jimmy Barnes
WORKING CLASS BOY: An Evening of Stories and Songs
Jimmy's playing nine shows from Invercargill to Auckland …
For ticket information head to Jimmy’s website https://www.jimmybarnes.com/tour-dates/
Francesca Rudkin: Movies
Hidden Figures - Starring: Taraji P. Henson, Octavia Spencer and Janelle Monáe
Francesca's verdict: 4 stars out of 5
Manchester by the Sea - Starring: Casey Affleck, Michelle Williams, Kyle Chandler
Francesca's verdict: 5 stars out of 5
NICI WICKES: Food
Deluxe sweet corn fritters! With sweet corn season in full swing, try these corn fritters made from fresh kernels and each fritter crammed full of flavour from chopped bacon and spring onions – they’re delicious! The recipe is on our website but for more inspiration visit http://www.niciwickes.com/ or her Facebook pagehttps://www.facebook.com/#!/niciwickes
LYNDA HALLINAN: Gardening
How to grow better basil. It's the quintessential herb of summer yet it seems perversely timed to bolt to seed just as the tomatoes start coming on. A few tips:
- The best basil to grow is the large leafed Genovese sort, aka pesto basil. There are dozens of other pretenders, such as purple basil, lettuce leaf and Thai basil, but if it's the standard basil flavour you want, go for the variety with the biggest, greenest, lushest foliage - and that's Genovese (or Genovese Giant).
- It's not too late to sow a late crop of basil but you'd be better suited to planting a few punnets of seedlings from the garden centre. Don't separate the clumps into individual seedlings as they are quite delicate - just bung them all in together and let them form little mounds.
- Basil needs watering more than most herbs. If it's in a pot, give it a good soak every second day, and move it into semi-shade as one hot day can cause it significant heat stress and lead to premature bolting.
- All annual herbs have only one purpose in life, and it's not to make your salads taste good. It's to go to seed and propagate the species. So, as soon as you spot the central stem of the plant getting taller (going to produce flower buds), nip it off. This prolongs the life of the plant.
- When harvesting, nip out the tips of each stem, which causes two new stems to grow from the buds that are left. Don't cut the stems under the leaves.
- If you want to try other basils, try Mrs Burns Lemon or Greek Mini - the former is citrus-flavoured, and the later is a super cute cushion variety.
MIKE YARDLEY: Travel
Ghost Towns and Hidden Treats of the Maniototo - For more tips on staking out the prized nuggets of the Maniototo, check out Mike's article on the website. www.newstalkzb.co.nz/lifestyle
CATHERINE RAYNES: Books
Nowhere Man by Gregg Hurwitz, Penguin $37
Good Me, Bad Me by Ali Land, Penguin $37
ANDREW DICKENS: Music
La La Land Soundtrack - Andrew's verdict:
So let’s be honest. La La Land is a lovely film but not the greatest of 2016. Ryan and Emma are lovely singers and dancers but not the best in their field. The actual music of this is very clever and well done and you can actually listen to it as an album. But it’s not up there with the greats. One for the fans.