This is an adaptation of a recipe from Wither Hills chef Ross Harrison. The tomato broth is spiced beautifully and provides a wonderful backdrop for the juicy clams.
Few strands of saffron
½ tsp coriander Seeds
2 black peppercorns
1 bay leaf
2 x 400g cans crushed tomatoes
3 cloves garlic
2cm fresh ginger
Few springs of coriander
¼ tsp sea salt
16 cloudy bay clams, rinsed well
Spring onions to garnish
Fresh coriander to garnish
Pinch of nonami togarashi (or use chilli powder)
- Wrap spices – saffron, coriander seeds, cloves, peppercorns, bay leaf - in small piece of cheese cloth.
- In a saucepan combine tomatoes, water, garlic, ginger, coriander stems and salt plus the wrapped spices and bring to the boil. Reduce heat & simmer till reduced by 1/3 – about 30 – 40mins.
- Discard spice bag. Blend sauce in a high speed blender until smooth.
- Return to heat and simmer for 5 – 10 mins.
- Adjust seasoning to taste and keep until ready to serve.
- Heat tomato broth until just starting to bubble. Add cleaned clams and simmer until clams spring open – about 1 minute.
- Spoon tomato broth into warmed bowls and divide clams evenly between bowls.
- Garnish with some shredded spring onion and coriander and a good pinch of Nanami Togarashi (or chilli powder).