TRULY ORANGE ORANGE CAKE
In celebration of Coeliac Awareness Week I give you this tender, moist orange cake that really does get better with age – 1-2 days anyway!
1 cup regular sugar
2 tsps vanilla extract
1 tsps baking soda
3/4 cup warm water
1 cup sultanas or raisins
1 ¼ cups GF flour
½ cup ground almonds
¼ cup caster sugar
2 tbsps water
Zest of one orange
- Preheat the oven to 180 C. Grease and line a 22-24cm round cake tin.
- Cream the butter and sugar and vanilla until fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat between each addition.
- Dissolve the soda in the water and add to the creamed mixture.
- Mince or blend the orange, peel and all, raisins/sultanas. Stir this into the creamed mixture.
- Stir in sifted flour and ground almonds and mix well.
- Scrape into the tin and bake for approx 50-60 minutes or until a skewer when inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool for a 10 minutes and turn out. Cool completely.
- Make a sugar syrup with ¼ cup sugar and water and zest of orange. Simmer until it syrups – about 7 minutes. Pour over when cake is cold.
LISTEN TO AUDIO ABOVE