A mother's fight for help for her vulnerable teenage son is at a tipping point.
He has been in and out of residential care since he was 12 but had been placed in a Dunedin hotel this week due to a shortage of residential care facility beds.
The Ministry for Vulnerable Children checked him into the hotel, telling his family he could be there for up to a month due to a shortage of residential care facility beds.
His mother told Mike Hosking it's proof he's not getting the care he needs.
"We're not getting any assessment, we're not getting any mental health check-ups regularly. It's just on-going, and we've been fighting for him since he was 12 to get the right help."
LISTEN ABOVE AS THE BOY'S MOTHER SPEAKS WITH MIKE HOSKING
Where to get help:
• Lifeline: 0800 543 354 (available 24/7)
• Suicide Crisis Helpline: 0508 828 865 (0508 TAUTOKO) (available 24/7)
• Youthline: 0800 376 633
• Kidsline: 0800 543 754 (available 24/7)
• Whatsup: 0800 942 8787 (1pm to 11pm)
• Depression helpline: 0800 111 757 (available 24/7)
• Rainbow Youth: (09) 376 4155
• Samaritans 0800 726 666
• If it is an emergency and you feel like you or someone else is at risk, call 111.