Changes have been made since baby's death - Waikato Hospital

Author
Newstalk ZB staff,
Section
Audio,
Publish Date
Thursday, 14 September 2017, 8:27AM
The mother was booked in for a caesarian section but her procedure was pushed back because of an emergency case (Photo \ Christine Cornege)

Waikato Hospital says it has made changes since a baby died during birth.

The mother was booked in for a caesarian section but her procedure was pushed back because of an emergency case.

Waikato District Health Board's quality and patient safety clinical director Doug Stephenson told Larry Williams a review was carried out after the baby's death.

"After this review it just became clear to us that we had to have a plan and that plan was to separate the plan from the acute. So that episodes like this would not come up in the future."

He said since December last year, all elective c-sections have taken place in a full operating theatre, and the delivery suite is only for acute c-sections.

LISTEN ABOVE AS DOUG STEPHENSON SPEAKS WITH LARRY WILLIAMS

ON AIR: Veitch on Sport

12PM - 6PM