Star Kiwis playmaker and ex-Warrior Kieran Foran has been officially ruled out of this year's Rugby League World Cup campaign.
The Bulldogs-bound Foran, 27, struggled through his sole NRL season in Auckland with back and thigh issues and couldn't drive the side to the finals.
His loss will be a blow for New Zealand, but one that can be adequately covered by the likes of Te Maire Martin, Thomas Leuluai and Kodi Nikorima.
Shaun Johnson is all but certain to play at halfback.
According to media reports, the Bulldogs stepped in on Foran's behalf and informed New Zealand Rugby League of his unavailability on Tuesday.
Head coach David Kidwell had been abreast of the situation.
The news comes as little surprise after Foran's comments to Sydney's Daily Telegraph newspaper last week, in which he said his body was "busted" and needed a full pre-season of rest and recovery to handle NRL football in 2018.
He also said he was injured for most of 2017.
Foran, who was born in Auckland but moved to Australia aged 10, has made 21 appearances for the Kiwis and scored one try since his 2009 debut.
He played a major role in their 2014 Four Nations triumph.
Kidwell will name his 24-man Kiwis World Cup squad on October 5, hoping to progress through a pool including Samoa, Tonga and Scotland.
They have not won the World Cup since 2008.