A funeral will take place in Christchurch this morning for the man accused of killing five-year-old autistic boy Leon Jayet-Cole.
The boy's stepfather James Roberts was due to stand trial for his murder in October, but was found dead earlier this week.
Roberts was on bail at the time of his death, prompting questions from Leon's father Michael Cole and lobby groups.
"Whether he's innocent or guilty, we could have got to the bottom of this, and I wouldn't be left with this great big hole in my life," Cole said.
His funeral is at Westpark Chapel in Burnside at 10am.
It's understood Leon's mother Emma will attend.
Are you affected by an issue in this article? Here's where to get help:
• Lifeline: 0800 543 354 (available 24/7)
• Suicide Crisis Helpline: 0508 828 865 (0508 TAUTOKO) (available 24/7)
• Youth services: (06) 3555 906
• Youthline: 0800 376 633
• Kidsline: 0800 543 754 (4pm to 6pm weekdays)
• Whatsup: 0800 942 8787 (1pm to 11pm)
• The Word
• Depression helpline: 0800 111 757 (available 24/7)
• Rainbow Youth: (09) 376 4155
• CASPER Suicide Prevention
If it is an emergency and you feel like you or someone else is at risk, call 111.