The Te Aroha community is in shock following the death of a toddler.
Police say it looks like the 18-month-old boy died after a free standing stove fell on him.
The results of the post mortem examination are expected later today.
Investigators have now completed their scene examination and left the address.
Te Aroha ward councillor Ash Tanner hasn't been in touch with the family, but says the whole community is in mourning.
"Definitely a shock tragedy when something like that happens in a small community, and our thoughts go out to the family involved," he says.
Photo: The home in Te Aroha where the accident happened. (NZ Herald)