A 25-year tradition has ended in Gisborne with the axing of town clock celebrations on New Year's Eve.
Issues of intoxicated young people, declining numbers and violence are some of the reasons given for ending the celebration that some Gisborne District councillors previously described as "past its use-by date".
It was decided by the community development committee this week to reallocate $34,845 budgeted for the clock party to new youth and family-targeted events.
About $20,000 was approved by the committee for alternative celebrations, including $15,000 for a youth event and $5000 to possibly contribute to a fireworks display on January 1.
The decision ends more than 25 years of the council-funded celebration at the clock and some of the New Year's Eve budget will be applied to minimal security to deter revellers from starting their own party there.
Council senior economic development officer Phil Wauchop said they would work with the police to minimise potential disorder.
"We know some people might try to congregate there but we will have to get them to move on," he said.
The increasing popularity of the Rhythm and Vines Festival had taken a lot of people out of the equation but some efforts would be directed at collective promotion of the hospitality industry's New Year's Eve entertainment to provide for those not going to the festival, said Mr Wauchop.
Crowds at Gisborne New Year's Eve town clock party peaked at 15,000 people welcoming in the new year in 2000.
Numbers have steadily dwindled, with 10,000 in 2003 and 1600 at last year's party, but arrests have increased - 38 last year compared to two in 2003.
Photo: Gisborne (Getty Images)