FREE MUSIC! 18 million songs. Over 450,000 artists. Free the Music and Share the Love with iHeartRadio.

LISTEN LIVE TO NEWSTALK ZB

Newstalk ZB

ON AIR NOW

Keep up with
Newstalk ZB

Follow Us

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Select region

Site Search

Search Search

Blitz to begin on cellphone use

Share |

Latest Crime News | Monday November 26 2012 5:48

Blitz to begin on cellphone use

Related

Police says there's been a substantial rise in the number of drivers they're catching on the phone.

A week long police blitz on drivers using cellphones while driving begins today.

National Manager- Road Policing Superintendent Carey Griffiths says after it was made an offence they were issuing around seven and a half thousand infringement notices a year, but this year so far it's been around 12 and half thousand.

He says people aren't getting the message.

"We've had about 28 people die since 2007 due to cellphone use in vehicles and it's a timely reminder going into Christmas that people need to pay attention to what they're doing."

Carey Griffiths says although the legislation allows the use of hands-free mobile phones, drivers should minimise the potential for distraction by switching phones off while driving, or pulling over to make or receive calls.

Photo: Getty Images

Advertisement
  • Duchess' brother in critical condition

  • Crash creates congestion at Carrington

  • Law clamps down on indecency

  • Key cynical over Labour policy

  • Christchurch rail service proposed

  • Cycling: Rogers to return to competition

  • Auckland Weather

    16°
    Today
    Partly Cloudy
    H:24° L:16°
    Click for More Weather
    More Weather

    The Republic of NZ

    Should New Zealand cut ties with the monarchy and become a republic?

    Vote Now

    View Results